Friday, May 4, 2012

Bread and...GOATS!


...Thank god I went to a liberal arts college for my undergrad. Honestly this past week as been the highlight of my college career. Jokes aside, this class is so much more than simple teaching and examining what the student is capable of “regurgitating”. This class is about reconnecting yourself to nature and to what nature provides. I come from a very different background. Born and raised in the heart of the capital city of a European country. Where people are very disconnected from nature, food, and animals. When we think of nature we think of parks that where designed by architects. When we think of food, we think of energy for our bodies, grabbed in that 15 mins span of time. When we think of animals, we think of our Chihuahuas (HATE THEM). There has to be more. There has to be more between humans and nature.

Day 1 "Newspaper Pots"
This connection between nature and humans is what (in my mind) this class called “Food and Society” is all about. This class is about the reconnecting the human to what nature has to offer. It’s a statement that screams that humans are not above nature on top of a pyramid, but that we are in a circle/cycle where humans, nature, animals and all the elements are interconnected to one another. Where one has to rely on the other.

Day 3 "Making Bread"
These past 3 days have reconnected me so much back with nature, that the first thing I texted my girlfriend was “I want a country house ASAP”. First day, simply by hanging out outside with the class for two hours made me want to have a garden. Third day, baking bread and playing with farm animals made me want to say goodbye to the big city. I can hardly wait for the following weeks.

Day 3 "Feeding the goats"
I wonder whether this feeling is because I distanced myself so much from nature in the past…

2 comments:

  1. I really agree that in the city people tend to be disconnected from nature, food, and animals. Although I think a lot of people in the city still love a good meal, they aren't able to see where this food comes from on a daily basis. How do we get these "city-dwellers" to open their eyes to the countryside and the methods we're using to create the food on their table? Do they have to learn willingly, or do we have to force the knowledge upon them? Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There certainly aren't as many spaces in the city to grow things, but it is possible. Check out this link: http://cskdetroit.org/index.php/EWG

    ReplyDelete