Thursday, May 24, 2012

Strawberry Daiquiris

For my presentation, I chose my father’s strawberry daiquiri recipe.  We have these at family gatherings especially graduation parties.  If you’re going to a Tarlton party, the alcohol will be flowing (with bags of daiquiris stuffed in the freezer ready to go).  My dad first made daiquiris because my mother liked them.  My friend joked they should be called “baby maker daiquiris”.  I have four siblings if that gives you any idea how tasty they are.  Throughout the years, my father has perfected his recipe and methods to make the best daiquiri.  His ideal strawberry daiquiri is just a drunk strawberry.  They’re too sweet for some people but my family loves them.  That’s how we do it.
Before they made their way into my dad’s hands, daiquiris originated in Cuba and the basic recipe is made of rum, lemon or lime juice, sugar and ice.  Naval officers brought over the recipe to the United States in the early 1900s.  Later, with the help of President Roosevelt’s foreign policy, rum sailed its way easily over here and daiquiris became popular among the masses.  Isn’t it nice what presidents can do for our country?
For today, I followed my dad’s recipe below with a few adjustments.  I rinsed and took the tops of the strawberries with a straw.  It’s something I saw on Pinterest; my dad would just use a knife and think I’m ridiculous.  You freeze the strawberries then so that you can use less ice but still keep the beverage frozen.  If you use less ice, it won’t be watery and have a higher alcohol concentrate.  This is obviously desirable (at least for our family).   The  frozen Bacardi Mixer is the best one to use because the liquid mixers are very gel-like.  My daiquiris’ consistency was a bit off today because I used a bottle mixer.  Add the rum and sugar then blend.  I used dark rum because we had some and used more sugar since the strawberries weren’t very sweet this time.  Mine today tasted fine but weren’t as good as my dad’s. With our unspoken class decision to all drink heavily the night before, everyone was hair of the dogging it today.  Therefore, they thought the daiquiris were good which is all that matters. 

Poppa Ron’s Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
1 pound of fresh strawberries frozen or frozen strawberries
1 can of Barcardi Frozen Daiquiri mix
1 can/ 12 ounces of rum (your preference)
1 -1.5 tablespoons of sugar (add more or less to taste)
Ice (enough to fill up the blender)
Put the frozen strawberries and frozen daiquiri mix in the blender.  Then fill can with rum and pour into the blender.  Add sugar to taste and enough ice to fill the blender.  Blend until desired consistency.  If you’re feeling fancy, you can rim the cup with sugar.  Enjoy with family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment